Thursday, May 15, 2014

In pursuit of health

Approximately 3 years ago, I found myself in the emergency room in need of a prescription for an inhaler due to an asthma attack, the first one in 10 years. That visit prompted a follow-up call from the doctor asking if I was aware that my blood sugar levels were of those who are diabetic. She promptly started filling out TWO prescriptions for diabetic medication and explaining how each would help me out. I informed her that even though I had the utmost respect for her profession, I needed to decline taking the medications because they were extremely toxic to my body and would only mask my disease, not cure it. I told her that since I got my body into this mess, I would get myself out of it. And if after a reasonable amount of time, I could not do it naturally and healthier then I would consider ingesting those medications. (Yes, those were my words!)

That very day, I changed my eating habits AND started varying my exercise routines. I called up a friend who had shared with me about some book that helped shape her into a new person: both physically and mentally. She said the name of the book was Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained With Loss by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I read it and re-read it. That book helped transform me into a knowledgeable, motivated individual who took charge of her health. Two weeks and twelve pounds lighter after the initial doctor talk, I received my newest blood test results. All was in the normal range including cholesterol and blood sugar. My primary physician said he wishes all of his patients would take charge of their own health.

The asthma attack was a blessing in disguise. It started me on a trek, a journey, an adventure! I have had more new experiences in the last three years than I have ever had in the previous twenty! I have gone on numerous hikes, taken up Krav Maga  - a super intense self defense technique and martial arts such as Muay Thai and jiu jitsu, gone outdoor rock climbing and scrambling, starting teaching yoga and fitness classes, competed in 5Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons, and other non-conventional but fun fitness activities, and enjoy high levels of energy. My ability to dream and fulfill those dreams are a reality. But most importantly, I love to share my story and help others do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment